Thursday, August 22, 2013

Arizona Summer Adventure


A couple weeks ago, my family traveled to Arizona to visit my in-law's in Prescott Valley. If you have been following the news lately, you'll know that this is within an hour of Yarnell - where the Granite Mountain 19 Hot Shot Crew lost their lives in a wild land forest fire. At the time of the incident I was in Honolulu, no where near the fire. Though my heart felt like I was right in the middle as I flipped from one news channel to another watching the story develop. So, given the opportunity to visit the memorial in Prescott during our trip, my husband and I eagerly went to see the outpour of support his hometown town has offered. Let me tell you, it was unbelievable. What started as a plywood sign hung on the fence bordering the station in Prescott, quickly grew to a block full of letters, mementos, and tremendous love for the friends, families and Heroes 19 that were affected. As I stood in front of the memorial, I watched car by car drive by nearing to a stop in the middle of the intersection. Maybe they hadn't seen the sight before or perhaps this is exactly the power all this love has on anyone who stops by. I'm not sure how much longer they will keep the memorial up but if you are in the area or know someone that is, have a look for yourself and show these heroes some love. 





This is a sign my Sister in Love left via Prescott Area Tennis Association. A group that has been raising money for the GM 19 since the incident. God Bless You All!



Taking full advantage of having family available to watch our little ones, Jarrod and I stopped by the Prescott Brewing Company later that day and bought their Heroes 19 beer. All proceeds go directly to the families. It was GOOD! There is also a link on-line where you can by a "virtual pint" if your feeling generous from home. Donate a virtual pint here












There is no place in the world like Arizona. Prescott Valley's sunset's are one of a kind and the community is close-knit and loving. I look forward to our next visit this winter where we will bundle up and hopefully get to see some snow. Some shots of the next leg of our adventure into Las Vegas, Nevada is coming up! 

Aloha!

Tasia 





No comments:

Post a Comment