Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Type II Diabetes: My transition to better health & wellness


Photo credit: Teilani Murrieta

Have you ever looked at a picture of yourself and immediately wanted to delete it? If you're like me, you're probably guilty of this more than once in life. I barely recognize myself anymore. I look at pictures and say "this is NOT me". I've been feeling less than fabulous lately but chalking it up to the motherhood duties wearing me out. Too stubborn to go to the doctor, I bit the bullet a couple weeks ago for a routine physical in order to get clearance for an allergy appointment. I have Hypothyroidism and take a hormone ever day to keep my levels where they need to be. This should be checked every six months so I knew that test had to be done. And my levels were fine. What was NOT good was my Hemoglobin A1C & cholesterol. I tested at the bottom and within range for type II diabetes. This week I meet with a nutritionist to talk about a diet plan to control my sugar and cholesterol. While dieting has been swirling around in my mind the past months, I now have no choice. Well, I sort of do...I could settle for this disease and die a slow and painful death or I could suck it up and get this right because I owe it to myself and to my loved ones.

My question to you, my readers:

Do you know someone with type II diabetes? How do they stay on track and keep a positive mindset? Better yet a positive transition to rising above and conquering? I could use some help and a lot of prayer's over here. I started a board on my pinterest  page with  some recipes for diabetic friendly food here. If you're feeling extra lovely and have some idea's -- drop a comment, email, or follow me on pinterest <--, and tag me in your pin. I would be beyond grateful for extra help. More updates will be on the way as the weeks pass. I have until the end of October to prove to my primary doctor I can bring my Hemoglobin A1C levels down and avoid insulin therapy and glucose testing.

Aloha & Mahalo <3

Tasia


4 comments:

  1. I do not know anyone who deals with their diabetes in a positive way, but I have thought about it myself because of my obsessive infatuation with sugar... (Although I know that isn't the only cause of diabetes), I feel I should start eating healthy now to prevent health problems. I just read a good book called "Get the Sugar Out":
    http://www.amazon.com/Get-Sugar-Revised-Updated-Edition/dp/0307394859
    There is also an app called MyFitnessPal that you can keep track of your calories and nutrition.. They help you set up how many calories to eat a day for your weight loss goals. I have an account, we can be myfitnesspal friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Let's be fitnesspal friends!! Keep each other motivated to live a long and healthy life! I have a kindle that needs that book. Thank you, my friend!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bothy grandmother and a former coworker have been able to control it with diet alone. It takes a lot of knowledge and planning, but I know you can do it too! Prayers, hugs, and positive vibrations to you. XOXO

    ReplyDelete