Thursday, August 8, 2013

Dragonfruit Strawberry Mango Salad


I have been craving mangoes like crazy since we moved into our new house. It's almost like the mango tree in our front yard is begging me to create dishes with this fruit. Then I stumbled on Foodland - Hawaii's Facebook page and saw this recipe that includes dragon fruit and mango. YUM!! Since dragonfruit was on sale at Foodland this week I scooped up the kids, jumped in my car and got their ASAP hoping they weren't sold out. Thankfully, they were not. Anyways. Along with picking up dragon fruit, I wanted to incorporate something else I love into this salad, so I chose strawberries. 

I have far too many memories of picking strawberries off a raised garden in my Grandparents front yard. Nowadays I watch my children pick mangoes off the ground that have fallen from the tree and wonder if mangoes will remind them of home like strawberries do for me. 

Back to the fruit salad... The process to making this is really easy. For directions on how to dissect a dragon fruit click here 



After the dragon fruit is diced, add it to a mixing bowl with one mango that has been muddled and 3-4 diced strawberries. Give it a quick mix and then place the mixture in the leftover skin of the dragon fruit (for an extra fun serving dish) and squirt half a wedge of lemon over the top. I didn't even use a fork after I took this picture. I inhaled both halves all to myself. Next time I promise to share.

Dragon fruit is loaded with Vitamin C, fiber, and natural antioxidants that prevent dangerous free radicals from attacking the body, causing sucky cancer and other undesired health problems like diabetes. Cancer + Diabetes = yuck. Dragon fruit = WIN. I hope you take my advice and try this fruit salad on a hot summer day when the mangoes are ripe and dragon fruit is on sale.

Mahalo,

Tasia

No comments:

Post a Comment